End-of-year Chromebook procedures and information for 2020-2021
Posted Friday, May 15, 2020
Current and future Loveland High School/Loveland Middle School Tigers and students in grades PreK-6 who have been using a district Chromebook at home for purposes of remote learning:
It is once again time to provide you information on our district Chromebook procedures and the One to World Chromebook program. You will find three communications below – the first is for Tigers in grades PreK-6 who are using a district Chromebook at home for purposes of remote learning. The second is for Tigers who are new to the Chromebook program. The third is for Tigers who are already enrolled in the program.
*Please note that as a result of the failed November school levy, the annual cost of the Chromebook will be increasing from $80 to $135 starting for the 2020-2021 school year. This includes all current lease-to-own Chromebooks that are currently assigned. This cost covers the total cost of ownership of the Chromebook, including the device, three year extended warranty, Chromebook protective case and management license. If you are interested in turning in your Chromebook and opting out of the program, please find information on that below.
Students in Grades PreK-6 Using a District Chromebook for Remote Learning
For students in grades PreK-6 who are using a district Chromebook at home for purposes of remote learning, you have two options for the summer:
• Keep the device in your possession over the summer: For purposes of safety and access to learning opportunities, the default scenario for families who are using a district Chromebook will be to keep the device over the summer break. The school district will be making available a summer learning enrichment resource which will be shared with families. If choosing to keep the Chromebook over the summer, families are assuming responsibility for the safe care and handling of the device. Any damages would be assessed upon the return to school, at which point the Chromebooks would need to be returned. Please note there will NOT be access to school technology support through the summer break.
• Return the device: If you prefer to return the Chromebook to the school district, you may turn in the device and charger at the Board Office, May 26 - June 5, 8:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. Any damage to the Chromebook will be assessed and charged to the family as a school fee.
New Chromebook Tigers in Grades 7-12
For the continuation of our One to World program at Loveland Middle School (LMS) and Loveland High School (LHS), we are excited to make Chromebooks available to all incoming seventh and tenth graders and students new to Loveland. For the 2020-2021 school year, students enrolling in the program will be provided the Lenovo 300e (Generation 2) Touchscreen Chromebook which features:
• Touchscreen display
• A 360-degree hinge allows for laptop, tablet, tent or stand mode
• 10-hour battery life
• Spill-proof keyboard
• Rugged design
Along with the Chromebook, students will also be provided a heavy-duty Gumdrop protective case which must be left on the Chromebooks at all times as well as a three-year extended warranty on the device. Along with participation in the lease-to-own program and during the three years of payments, Loveland Schools will offer technology support and service as afforded through the extended warranty. At the conclusion of the third year of the program, the family will gain ownership of the device at which point district service and support of the Chromebook would also end.
Who is eligible?
The new Chromebook will be available to all incoming seventh-grade and tenth-grade students, and students new to Loveland in grades seven-twelve for the 2020-2021 school year.
Additionally, based on popular demand, students in grades eight through 12 who initially chose to bring their own device for the 2019-2020 school year are now also able to opt into the program. If you are NOT an incoming seventh grader but plan on enrolling in the program for the 2020-2021 school year, please fill out this form so that we can order enough machines.
Why should I consider the Loveland Chromebook?
• With around 70 percent of students in grades seven-12 graders taking advantage of the district Chromebook option, the Chromebook is the popular device of choice across Loveland.
• At a cost of $135/year, after three years of paying for the Chromebook, the device transfers ownership over to the family and it is yours to keep.
• Along with the Chromebook and case, our amazing technology staff (and student technology team members) also offer full technical support of the district Chromebook during the years of the lease.
• All additional details on the program can be found here.
How do I get mine?
• Chromebooks will only be available during schedule pickup times in August. Information for these dates and times will be communicated by LIS, LMS and LHS.
• If you are going to purchase a school-issued Chromebook, it must be picked up during this time.
• Fees will be applied to your student account in the fall.
• No money is due up front.
Current Chromebook Tigers in Grades 7-12
Students continuing with the program for the 2020-2021 school year:
• To support summer academic assignments, and extend opportunities for learning, all students who plan on continuing with their Chromebook will maintain possession and responsibility of their Chromebook this summer.
• During this time, technology support will NOT be available. Please treat your Chromebook with care, and have it ready for back-to-school 2020.
• Families will be charged the $135 fee in the fall of the 2020-2021 school year along with their other school fees.
Current 9th grade students who have paid off their Chromebook over the past three years:
• If your child received a Chromebook in their seventh-grade year, you have now paid towards your Chromebook for three years and will gain ownership of the device.
• As ownership of the machine is passed over to families at the conclusion of the school year, we will stop providing service for the machine and will no longer have management rights over the machine.
• For the 2020-21 school year, you will have the option of continuing to use your existing Chromebook, sign up for a new Chromebook during schedule pick-up at the high school, or choose to bring your own device.
• If choosing to bring your own device, please see the bring your own device requirements.
• If you wish to continue to use the paid-off Chromebook as a “bring your own device,” you must register it with the school during schedule pick up.
Students who wish to opt out of the program and will bring their own device for the 2020-2021 school year:
• Students will turn in their Chromebook and charger to the district Board Office, May 26 - June 5, from 8:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.
• Failure to return the charger, or if the Chromebook comes back damaged, may result in additional fees being charged to the student’s account.
• If the Chromebook is not received by June 5, families may be charged the usage fee for the 2020-2021 school year.
• Please keep in mind that this action cannot be undone once the device has been turned in and your student will not have the option of receiving another district Chromebook until the next roll out cycle.
• Please see the bring your own device requirements.
For current seniors or students leaving Loveland who will be paying off the remaining balance to gain ownership of their Chromebook:
• Students not returning to Loveland are able to pay off the remaining balance on their Chromebook to gain ownership of the device.
• If interested, please contact Alysha Haungs at LMS at [email protected] or Nina Monfreda at LHS at [email protected] to arrange payment by May 29.
SENIORS ONLY: the payment of your device must occur by 5/22.
• If the balance on the Chromebook is not paid off by May 29, this may result in the district withholding transcripts.
SENIORS ONLY: Again, the payment of your device must occur by 5/22 or may result in the withholding of your diploma and/or transcripts.
For current seniors or students leaving Loveland who DO NOT wish to pay off the remaining balance on the Chromebook and forego ownership AND seniors on free/reduced lunch using a district Chromebook:
• Students will turn in their Chromebook and charger to the district Board Office, May 26 - June 5 from 8:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.
SENIORS ONLY: Your Chromebook must be returned by May 22.
• Failure to return the charger, or if Chromebook comes back damaged may result in additional fees.
• If the Chromebook is not received by May 29, this may result in the district withholding transcripts.
SENIORS ONLY: Your Chromebook must be returned by May 22 or may result in the withholding of your diploma and/or transcripts.
If you have any additional questions, please contact me directly at [email protected].
Director of Technology and Innovation