Chromebook Pickup, BYOD Registration & Wireless Network Changes
As classes wrap up for the school year, we wanted to provide you with some details that relate to the One to World Initiative for all students in grades 7-12, as well as a change in our wireless network taking place across the school district this summer.
Chromebook Pick Up and Student BYOD Registration
With Chromebooks ordered for next year and the Bring Your Own Device (BYOD) enrollment period now closed, we are looking forward to our back-to-school Chromebook deployment and BYOD registration. For all students grades 7-12, depending on whether they are using a district Chromebook or bringing their own device, this process will coincide with schedule pick up at Loveland Middle School (LMS) and Loveland High School (LHS) during the following dates:
Loveland Middle School
● Grade 8 – 9 a.m. to 11 a.m. and 12 p.m. to 2 p.m. Monday, Aug. 15
● Grade 7 – 9 a.m. to 11 a.m. and 12 p.m. to 2 p.m. Wednesday, Aug. 17
Loveland High School
● Grade 10 – 9 a.m. to 11 a.m. Tuesday, Aug. 16
● Grade 12 – 1 p.m. to 3 p.m. Tuesday, Aug. 16
● Grade 9 – 8 a.m. to 12 p.m. Thursday, Aug. 18
● Grade 11 – 1 p.m. – 3 p.m. Thursday, Aug. 18
During this time, students will be doing the following:
● For students issued a district Chromebook: students will be assigned a Chromebook, protective case and documentation for basic use and getting started.
● For students bringing their own device: student devices will be registered with the school district to gain access to secure, wireless network and to assist in loss and theft of machine. This process only involves the collection of the BYOD MAC address. A reminder that no smart phones will be registered as electronic learning devices. For more information regarding BYOD device specifications, please see our FAQ’s.
IMPORTANT: In order for your student to be issued a district Chromebook or register their own device, parent and student must first agree to the Acceptable Use Policy. This is a part of the Emergency Medical Authorization (EMA) which is available through the Parent Portal, and will be available to complete after June 8. The EMA will need to be complete by your pick up or registration date (listed above). There will be kiosk stations available during Chromebook pickup/device registration for the parent to complete this process, but it is recommended that you complete this in advance.
Changes to the District Wireless Network
To accommodate increased network traffic due to 1:1 next year, and to provide your student with a secure internet connection, we will be making adjustments to our wireless network setup. These changes will allocate additional bandwidth to our district and registered student machines providing for more coverage on all electronic learning devices. Although your student’s personal device (phone, gaming device, etc.) will still have access to the Loveland public network, the bandwidth available will be turned down to accommodate this adjustment as it will be directed to networks that support learning devices.
Please discuss with your student the implications this may have in terms of data consumption on their mobile device, as we adjust our network to primarily service learning devices. This will not affect your student’s ability to text or make calls on their cellular phone, and will only potentially impact those devices with access to a mobile data plan.
Please refer to http://www.lovelandschools.org/TigerOne-to-World.aspx for additional information regarding next year’s 1:1 transition, or contact David Knapp at email@example.com.
Thank you and have a wonderful start to your summer.
District Director of Technology
Loveland City School District