DEADLINE EXTENDED: Tiger One to World Chromebook distribution details
The deadline to respond to the Tiger One-to-World initiative has been extended until Friday, May 6. Please see the below story for complete details.
Dear Loveland Parent:
As we have recently shared with you over the past few months, we are excited to be transitioning to a 1:1 learning environment at Loveland Middle School and Loveland High School next year in grades 7-12.
This communication provides important information regarding the next steps of this plan, and what is needed on behalf of you.
What does 1:1 mean for my student?
The concept of 1:1 means that every student has access to an electronic learning device on a daily basis. Starting on the first day of school next year in grades 7-12, all students will be expected to come to school every day with an electronic learning device.
What are our options?
There are three (3) options for our students to gain access to an electronic learning device:
1) Loveland Schools will provide your student with a district Chromebook (this is the default option).
For a $80/year annual technology fee Loveland Schools will provide your student with a new district Chromebook. After three years in the program, ownership of the device transfers over to the family. Cost of the fee includes:
• Acer C740 4GB Chromebook
• Protective case with Loveland logo
• Google management license
• Cost of damage of Chromebooks up to the cost of the machine
Benefits of the district Chromebook option include:
• Access to Loveland provided break/fix support and maintenance
• Temporary loaner devices provided to student if maintenance on the device is required.
• The assurance of knowing that your student is guaranteed access to an electronic learning device that is supported and ensured by the school district on a daily basis.
2) Students choose to bring their own device (BYOD).
This device must meet general device requirements (see below), and will be registered and documented with the school. Smart phones are not considered to be an approved student device, and, therefore, will not be registered. For more information on the BYOD option, please refer to the Tiger One to World FAQs.
Device requirements include:
• N or AC wireless cards
• Flash Player compatibility
• USB flash drive port
• Up to date operating system (minimum of Windows 7, OS X Lion)
• Sufficient memory (2 GB minimum, 4 GB recommended)
• Access to the Chrome Internet browser
• Screen size of 9.5 inches or greater
Students who elect to bring their own device will not be charged the $80 technology fee.
3) Students who qualify for free/reduced lunch will be provided a Chromebook at no cost.
What if I am currently signed up for the lease to own option at LHS?
If your student is currently leasing a Chromebook from the school district through the lease-to-own program at LHS, please fill out the Electronic Learning Device Commitment Form below. There is an option for continuing with the Chromebook program in the form, and this will notify us not to order an additional Chromebook for your student for next year. If you do not plan on continuing with the Chromebook option and choose to send your student to school with their own device, please also see information below regarding the Electronic Learning Device Commitment Form.
Something to consider before making a decision:
If you decide for your student to bring their own device, please consider these stipulations:
• After the initial year of the program in 2016-2017, students are only able to select the district Chromebook option in grades 7 and 10. This is due to the ownership component that we have embedded into the program to provide to our families. This means that if your child is going to be in grade 11 and you elect to bring your own device, for example, you will not have the option of receiving a Chromebook for grade 12.
• Students may withdraw from the Chromebook option any year in grade 7-12. So, for example, if you elect to participate in the program in grade 10, but decide to bring your own device in grade 11; that is an option.
What do I need to do at this point in time?
If you would like a district Chromebook:
If you are choosing to take part in the district Chromebook option for $80/year, NO ACTION IS NEEDED. We will be ordering Chromebooks for all students in grades 7-12 who do not elect to bring their own device.
If you will be sending your student to school with their own device (BYOD):
Action at this time is only required if you are electing for your student to bring their own device next year. If you do NOT want the school district to order your student a Chromebook, and your student will be bringing their own device next year, please let us know by filling out the following Electronic Learning Device Commitment Form.
Click here to access the Electronic Learning Device Commitment Form.
Device Commitment Forms are due by a new date of Friday, May 6. Once the May 6 date has been reached, you will not have the opportunity to change your mind, as we will be placing our Chromebook order and your student’s Chromebook will be purchased by the district.
Loveland High School and Loveland Middle School will be opening up the school year with student technology training and orientation, and additional information including student Chromebook pickup, a parent/student technology information webpage, transition information for current lease-to-own families will be made available later this spring.
If you have any questions, please refer to http://www.lovelandschools.org/TigerOne-to-World.aspx for an overview of the program, as well as a list of our frequently asked questions which cover the finer details of the Tiger One to World Initiative.
We are very excited for this instrumental change at LHS and LMS in providing access to all of our students to all of the tools and resources made available to them to enhance the learning experience and maximize their personal student achievement.
If you have any additional questions, please contact David Knapp, Director of Technology, at (513) 683-5600 or through email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Your partner in learning and technology,